Friday, November 14, 2008

Silence


I believe silence is a much undervalued thing. This is true for many spheres of my life. One of them is the art of cinema. It seems like there is constant need for quasi-viceral stimuli in movies. I wish more flicks maximised the stunning drama and heavy meaning of silence more often. I'm not saying that I want Czechoslovakian art-house fare, rather that more movies exploit the tremendous resource that is silence. Example: The beginning of There Will be Blood. Or better yet, a part of part 5 of 5 of Vice's True Norwegian Black Metal.

I hesitated to embed the video because like bikes, I feel there has been a bit too much use of embed on the blog. Luckily, when I tried to embeb the video, it failed.

Fate? Incompetence? Bad luck? Should I not have eaten that sardine-on-toast open-faced sandwich? Who really cares? I'm wearing a fur shirt right now and I think you should watch this:

An Adroit Use of Silence

10 comments:

Dementor said...

There will be blood is one of the best movies I've seen. But thats just thanks to D.D.Lewis. Can you believe they almost casted that dude who played Cyclops in his place? Imagine how it would have sucked then. Thats why I'm saying D.D. IS that movie man. Shit, I need to see the Last of the Mohicans again now. Or Gangs of New York.

Dementor said...

Also, I wish people from northern Africa would be more silent.

Dementor said...

Hey Dildo, what's the difference between an API and a library? Its the same right?

Dementor said...

and also, I wish you Syco could maximise the stunning drama and heavy meaning of silence more often.

Barbarosa said...

.

Barbarosa said...

But Daniel Day Lewis is certainly a tremendous actor. In the Name of the Father remains in my coveted Best Of list. I remember watching it a good five times when I was but a teenager.

Napoleon Bonerpants said...

Man, I've been dying to post that clip but I'm glad someone else did. That dude in plaid was begging for an axe murdering. This video was a "How to lure hipsters into the forest and leave them for dead 101". I especially loved the line about how the video was not about climbing a mountain but about heavy metal. The obtuseness of that comment still makes me cringe. Its as cheap as an iPod DJ.

Dementor said...

Boner, have you been drinking again?

Dementor said...

I mean what the fuck are you commenting on?

Dementor said...

oh.
I see.