Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I heart India (#273 in a series)


Actual quote from a serious book I'm reading:

``Ravi, a dalit (untouchable) college student accidentally brushed brushed against a Reddy (forward caste) sitting in front of him in a cinema theater...

this led to a confrontation between the Reddys and Dalits in the theater and soon escalated into a full-scale conflict...

the Reddy youth held Ravi's father captive and beat out of him details of his son's whereabouts...

they then met Ravi, beat him, forced liquor down his throat, and then took him to the police station accusing him of `misbehaving` with women in a drunken state...

some policemen warned the Dalit men of an impending attack, instructing them to run West towards the Tungabadhra canal. The men obeyed, but found gangs waiting for them, fully armed with knives and axes. Thirteen men were killed, their mutilated bodies put inot gunny sacks and thrown into the river.``

I'm speechless. Wait a minute, what's this?



``An Indian train fire that killed 59 Hindus and provoked deadly religious riots in 2002 was started by accident, a government inquiry has said.

``The incident set off days of rioting in Gujarat state in which at least 1,000 people, most of them Muslims,died.``

Makes you wonder how they find the time to built stuff like this:

13 comments:

Dementor said...

They didnt build it you feckless ignorent! The british did.

Dementor said...

Tis obviously the fine and tasteful Victorian style : 2/3 splendor, 1/4 gothic, and a zest of rococo.

Napoleon Bonerpants said...

You jackass! Those are Bangladesh election riot pictures. Them there countries are all the same I guess. Ha! I've made you the pariah now! No one will want to speak to you!

Napoleon Bonerpants said...

call me?

Barbarosa said...

You bastard! You set up a trap so you could ignore my call, thus proving your point! I'll get you back!

Barbarosa said...

Call me?

alex trebek said...

no one ever calls me. oh, except for 1999... they called and said they wanted something back, but i forgot what it was... i hope they'll call back...

Barbarosa said...

Trebeck, you and your jerk excuses! I just called, and you told me I was "bothering" you. What a pompous prick you are.

alex trebek said...

i was jerking off icognito at the library until you made my phone ring and brought attention to my activities... i don't think it's pompous of me to say that you we bothering me, asshole!

Barbarosa said...

Again? Sorry about that.

Dementor said...

well he was pompous on something.

hahaha
haha
ha
h
l
'

Barbarosa said...

hohoho!

alex trebek said...

you made me smile and i'm feeling like shit...thanks!