Thursday, November 15, 2007

Metal 101 Session 2

For the first part of this class, we will go to Finland. No, not Children of Bodom. I love this band but I've kind of given up on sharing my interest. I last went to see them alone at Metropolis and I'm sure I was one of the only guys over twenty. It made for good moshpit supremacy, though. This time, I will present a band that just might be a good gateway into metal or perhaps even a gateway out of metal for those who discriminate too much. They're labeled "progressive folk/electronic melodeth" or something like that but I call it radio friendly kick ass music. Its got a positive vibe to it too, especially since their last deadbeat alternacrap singer left. I'm talking about Amorphis. I just can't stop listening to this shit.



Here, now, is a different kind of band that is more on the down side. They’re some sort of atmospheric doomish, blackish (read dark) metal band. I thought they were from some nordland but it turns out they’re from Portland, Oregon. I really don’t get what is up with that place. Anyways, though its better than many other videos out there, this video doesn’t do them justice (as no video has ever done any metal band justice except for “One”) simply because it shows a snipet from an opus that only makes sense if you listen to it from end to end. I would like to mention the emphasis on nature, a theme which many other bands (that have no videos whatsoever) base their entire careers on. Here’s Agalloch.



And now, back to Finland. I know this isn’t helping my cause but…what the hey, its for a good laugh. Here’s some Finntroll.



I always wondered what a video from these guys would be like. I’m not disappointed… though not impressed.

2 comments:

Napoleon Bonerpants said...

Yes, I know I'm pulling a Trebek. He opened Pandora's box for blog DJ's. (lets call 'em BJ's)

Dementor said...

Please do not start with those BJ's.

Bjs are for socially misadapted old excommunicated feminine guys from 14th century Sweden.

Please do not dare pronounce the word again.