Monday, June 29, 2009

Pretentious vs C'mon

Here's the deal. This all hapenned in French

The other evening, my ex-girlfriend and soon to be ex-roomate asked how to spell discussion. No problem. D-I-S-C-U-S-S-I-O-N. She thanks me and says it was because she forgot whether there was 1 s or 2. I was a bit stunned and told her the "trick" is that when there is 1 s between vowels, it makes a z. She then thanks me for the "trick". Which is when I remember that it's not a trick, but a rule. That you learn in Grade 2. I did not pursue the discussion.

24h after that, I was wondering whether or not she was serious. It seemed unbelievable to me that a unilingual French person would not be aware of such a basic rule of pronounciation. So I asked her. She got pissed at me and called me an arrogant fool. Later on, when I told Nerdlord the story he agreed with my former better(not linguistically) half.

I'm not asking people to know subjonctives here, merely to be somewhat aware of their language.

So, here's the debate. Am I an arrogant fool or a just defender of language?

5 comments:

Karl Hungus said...

An arrogant defender of language.

Dementor said...

A pretentious asshole, defender of nothing. A dubious "erudite", excessively enamored with his sad self. A rat soup eating, low barn business, insecure motherfucker.

Barbarosa said...

piétaille sans honneur

Master of the Craw said...

spuling ees far lozerse

Barbarosa said...

Coquebert