Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Future! (part II)


the carcass of a late albatros who ate a little too much plastic


I woke up in a good mood this morning. So of course it felt wrong, and I immediately tried to remember why I should'nt be feeling so happy. But I was in such a great and joyful state of mind that it took me way too long to remember about the ongoing genocides, the billions in hellish conditions, the bees disappearing, the consequences of their disapearing, the 25% of mammals to be extinct, the tons of scrap metal accumulating from trashed electronic gizmos we dont fucking need, the generalized carelessness and overconsumption, etc...

So to make sure none of you mistakenly falls in a state of happiness like I did this morning, I'm posting this. Feel free to do the same about any other reason not to be happy. I personnally think that, given the state of the world, being genuinely happy is a crime against humanitym, against the biosphere and against the planet, and we shouldnt let it happen to us.

THE GREAT PACIFIC OCEAN PLASTIC PATCH (theres six times more plastic in the ocean than plankton, and its getting worse every seconds!)



"I often struggle to find words that will communicate the vastness of the Pacific Ocean to people who have never been to sea. Day after day, Alguita was the only vehicle on a highway without landmarks, stretching from horizon to horizon. Yet as I gazed from the deck at the surface of what ought to have been a pristine ocean, I was confronted, as far as the eye could see, with the sight of plastic.
It seemed unbelievable, but I never found a clear spot. In the week it took to cross the subtropical high, no matter what time of day I looked, plastic debris was floating everywhere: bottles, bottle caps, wrappers, fragments. Months later, after I discussed what I had seen with the oceanographer Curtis Ebbesmeyer, perhaps the world's leading expert on flotsam, he began referring to the area as the "eastern garbage patch." But "patch" doesn't begin to convey the reality. Ebbesmeyer has estimated that the area, nearly covered with floating plastic debris, is roughly the size of Texas.
- Captain Charles Moore, the founding director of the Algalita Marine Research Foundation (AMRF).

Further suppression of happiness here.

Termination of bliss here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well... at least that seagull did it's part... thanks birdie!

Dementor said...

yeah... but the funny part is that those plastic pieces he swallowed are still there when his carcass is completely degraded, and they will kill a lot more birdies.
What's surprising is there are still birdies around.
I wonder for how long.

Anonymous said...

Not very long if I have my way.

Master of the Craw said...

I want to rent a propeller plane and fly through a flock of birds, just for fun.